2009/10/19 Andrew Turvey <andrewrtur...@googlemail.com>:
> * New business models for online content: How can a viable business be made
> out of >online content without relying on advertising?

May have to be defensive on this one. We do make selling content
harder. would expect the BBC to pick up most of the flack there
though. News corp have been running a campaign against them along
those lines.

> * Developing Talent: What can be done to create opportunities for the next
> generation of creative talent? How can creative businesses make sure
> tomorrow’s employees have the right skills to thrive?
> * Securing creative rights: How best to ensure that those who generate and
> fund creative >product are able to secure its value? Both regulatory and
> non-regulatory methods will be >examined.

As always our priority here would be to oppose anything that cased
legal issues for free licenses. Basically anything that limits what
terms an author can release their rights under is problematical.

> Some of these things are clearly not relevant for us but some - "securing
> creative rights" >and "new business models" - are issues that we may wish to
> have input into. There are >also likely to be some big hitters there who we
> would be interested in partnering with in >the future, including senior
> people from companies like Spotify, BBC Vision and Wired >UK.

Spotify seem unlikely

>Peter Mandelson is a keynote speaker, which could be an important opportunity
>to put >the case for public domain to a key decision maker.

Given his ideas about copyright keeping him from the issue would
probably be a far better option. A couple of mentions of the Gowers
Review of Intellectual Property should do it.

> My question: what should I focus on at this conference and what should I aim
> to get out of it?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Andrew

Well looking at the full agenda:

http://www.cabinetforum.org/files/Cabinet_Agenda_A4.pdf

The peer2peer bit might be an opportunity to make the case that free
licenses have the ability to make people stakeholders in copyright and
thus less likely to ignore it.

We need to know what David Lammy has to say but since I can't really
predict what he will say I can't really provide much advice for
responding.

Main sessions 2&4 are of interest but mostly in a "we need to know
what they are thinking" way. In the case 4 keep an eye of for this
being used as an excuse to further lengthen copyright terms.

Of the fridge events the BBC future tech is probably a must. The rest
would appear to be less significant.

--
geni