On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 16:30 +0100, Bod Notbod wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Andrew Turvey
> <andrewrtur...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Peter Mandelson is a keynote speaker, which could be an important
> > opportunity to put the case for public
> > domain to a key decision maker.
> >
> > My question: what should I focus on at this conference and what should I
> > aim to get out of it?
>
> Shoot Peter Mandelson in the head at point blank range wearing a
> Wikimedia UK bandana and shout "INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREEEEEEEE!"
>
> I expect that would get the odd headline here and there. A bit of
> publicity for us.
>
> If you're not keen on a lengthy prison sentence a decent kick in the
> balls should get us at least onto page four or five.

This may not be a professional approach to Peter Mandelson, but WMUK
simply lacks the funds to hire a professional hitman. :-P

Can't abolish the *unaccountable* Lords fast enough for me. Although I'm
none too happy about rumours the Dark Lord may be exiting that chamber
to stand in a safe Labour seat.

What is, actually, conspicuously absent from the discussion is whether
anyone has a *right* to make a profit on these creative works. Copyright
is a social contract; society grants a work's creator(s) a limited
duration monopoly to allow them the *opportunity* to make a profit.

Arstechnica has a good article relating to this today. Those
well-entrenched and profiting from creative works have a 100+ year
history of scaremongering and depriving the public domain what they
agreed to give it in the first place.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org>
Wikinewsie.org