On 27 October 2011 00:44, Brian McNeil <brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org> wrote:

> I might upset a few people here, but,... Why does this even have to in
> any way link to Wikipedia?

[else where you also said "The point here is not to drive traffic to
Wikipedia"]

I'm not concerned with "driving traffic to Wikipedia" - it seems to be
doing OK, in that regard, without our help.

I think a Wikipedia page is the most user-friendly "front end" to the
rest of the data, and is also likely to satisfy the curiosity of a
more casual reader, who wants to know what the memorial is (name,
architect, date of construction, etc.), without going further into the
personal details of those memorialised, which will nonetheless be thus
made available to those who do wish to see it.

QRpedia and interwiki links mean we can also serve basic information
to people who cannot read English (or Scots/ Welsh).

> For many GLAM partners, Wikipedia is not going to be the 'ideal' first
> port of call.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing