Hi all,

as you may have read before, we will be organizing a brainstorm meeting in
London on Feb 18th - the excellent opportunity to discuss the opportunities
and directions of a UK edition for Wiki Loves Monuments in 2012!

Practical details:
* Link: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_brainstorm
* When: Saturday 18 February 2012; 13:00
* Where: Development House, Leonard Street, London, EC2A 4LT (the WMUK
office)

So what will we do? Well, we will not try to solve all the problems of the
world. I will be there, with my experiences from Wiki Loves Monuments in
2010 and 2011 from the Netherlands and European contests, and we will try
to see if there is enough interest to organize Wiki Loves Monuments in 2012
in the UK, to identify the challanges and opportunities ahead and what
still would have to be done. I will not be organizing this myself, so
input, initiative and interest (and lots of help) will definitely be needed
from volunteers to make it a success.

So, why would one want to organize a 'Wiki Loves Monuments' in the first
place? Well, the idea is that it is a photo contest open for the general
audience. Besides hopefully many good quality (but don't expect supreme
super de luxe) photo material of the UK heritage, it is also a potential
way of getting in touch with two highly motivated groups of volunteers:
First of all photographers (which can learn this way all about free
licenses and uploading to commons) and secondly heritage enthusiasts
(generally older people, who might in the long run also be interested in
writing about their local heritage). By asking them to participate in a low
threshold contest, they can learn that one can really add content to
Wikipedia (by uploading their photos) in a relatively safe and easy way.

Also, it is a great opportunity to organize many local events around the
topic - where there are interested volunteers to organize such. Potentially
Wiki Loves Monuments can be used as a centerpiece to build other activities
and cooperations around. This brainstorm might be a good time and place to
analyze the opportunities there are, and see what it might bring in and
what would be the best approach to get the most out of it!

But yeah, there will be many challanges to be overcome probably - things
that seem like huge problems sometimes. The brainstorm can serve as a time
and place to think about that as well, see what would be the best way to
approach those issues. Most likely the UK is not the first country to bump
into them (18 countries organized WLM in 2011), so lets sit down together,
and identify what are the real problems, and what are mainly problems that
are easily solved, or that you could easily live with.

Anyway, I would be thrilled to find the UK participating in Wiki Loves
Monuments! Please add your input already to the page linked above, and join
us in London on Feb 18! Looking forward to the meeting!

Best regards,
Lodewijk