I am aware of the commons botload problem ... I did my share as well.

However we know that Wikipedia has made some very big mistakes. Its still
the best encyclopedia in the world and a marvellous example of man's good
will triumphing over apathy and cynicism. Lets not make the mistake of
blaming Tim Berners Lee for online-pornography and international terrorism
whilst forgetting that some other good things come from his invention as
well..... or in this case Geograph

Just because we have had a less than perfect experience with botloading
then lets not foget that as far as I know the first country in the world to
offer a free license picture of every square km was the UK. Wiki loves
monmuments has had difficulty estblishing itself here. One reason is that
we had (in part) done it. I would estimate that there are thousands upon
thousands of well placed images in wikipedia articles because of the
foresight of Geograph.

Or put it another way?? Who should we give the UKWikimedian of the year
awards to?

cheers
Roger

On 14 April 2012 09:11, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com>wrote:

> On 13 April 2012 22:52, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> I don't anticipate that this suggestion to offer a manual commons upload
>> for the Geograph users and the high def images they now load would be as
>> contentious as it would be to resume the bot based import.
>>
>> The kind of debate that has been opened up here is, in Wikipedia terms,
> one of the oldest (the "Rambot" issue of almost a decade ago). I wouldn't
> say that the Commons community will necessarily come to the same
> conclusions as (English) Wikipedia did, namely that large-scale additions
> of free content should not be resisted simply on the grounds that quantity
> is in tension with quality. But the precedent agrees with my views as an
> end-user, which is that more images implies broader coverage implies I'm
> more likely to find there is some image I could use to illustrate an
> article when I go to look for one. (I gave an example in another thread
> recently, i.e. [[Lewis Cubitt]]).
>
> Charles

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993