not sure about the scalability of this proposal. If we want free
information then we need to avoid feeding the market. These guys are going
to charge just to glance at an out of copyright book with a camera. If the
charge is a pound then we can't afford that model when we look at all
possible books (and neither can Africa)

Roger

On 1 August 2012 13:49, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 August 2012 13:29, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Scanning and promoting the use of the images and text for the public
> > benefit. Then selling the book at either little loss or a likely
> > profit for the charity once we have a lot of public attention on it.
>
> Slight amendment after thinking over a cup of tea - I would prefer to
> see it donated to the British Library (or some another worthy public
> archive) for the permanent public benefit, rather than resell. This
> fits better with the Wikimedia UK mission and the receiving
> institution might even help with archive quality digitization.
>
> Cheers,
> Fae

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993