I was very pleased to find this in the release notes for Mediawiki 1.20 .... getting the Mediawiki message out there with the huge Linux userbase.

***********************************
We're working closely with Linux distributors to make sure that the
MediaWiki bundled in Linux is something that we feel more comfortable
supporting.  In this vein, MediaWiki 1.19 is being targeted for "long
term support".  Since Debian (the Linux distribution with the longest
release cycle) has a two year cycle between each freeze and we've
gotten MediaWiki 1.19 into Wheezy, we'll support MW 1.19 for the next
two years.  (Thank you especially to MediaWiki developer Platonides
for his help in working with the Debian developers.)

Tempted to copy edit that statement though...

>>we've gotten MediaWiki 1.19 into Wheezy.......

:-)

Gordo