On 27 June 2013 23:07, Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 27/06/13 14:01, Katherine Bavage wrote:
>

> Do comment and edit as this is intended as a discussion paper I hope to
> evolve into formal processes for staff or volunteers to refer to :)
>
> I would like to reply here. At an AGM, this email list is informed of the
> outcome of elections and motions, before the membership is informed.
>
> I believe the reason is that CiviCRM is not always available. Can I ask that
> members are informed first, and then an announcement is sent out to this
> list etc?
>
> In other words, membership should bring benefits not afforded to
> non-members. It is the lack of distinction that may put off potential
> members. And retain the current members....

FWIW I've just joined, nudged by this thread. The biggest reason that
I might not have got around to doing this wasn't money, member
privileges etc., ... just that anything to do with online payments is
general a giant pain. Much as I love the work of Wikimedia UK, there's
a good chance I'll forget to renew in 12 months unless I'm heavily
reminded. The PayPal payment went through pretty smoothly, but I
didn't see anything anywhere about signing up by direct debit or other
mechanisms. Do you plan to offer something like that, so that the
default (for those who choose it) can be continued membership, rather
than lapsing after 12 months?

Dan