On 13 October 2015 at 15:12, leu...@fabiant.eu <leu...@fabiant.eu> wrote:
> I think there is what we do and what we imagine we do. Although the
> propaganda is that editathons are there to develop new editors, in fact they
> are very poor at this with somewhere around a 5% success level. This is
> something Wikimedia UK has known for several years, yet we have continued to
> run these even though they fail at their stated aim.
> It is quite clear that if we want to train up editors then what is needed is
> regular (probably weekly) training events at which people can build their
> skills, carry out "homework" between sessions and perhaps be given an
> assessment if they are up for it.

Leutha has some good insights, however I disagree with some the ideas
for action.

When we set up the Wikimedia UK charity (in Andrew Turvey's time), as
trustees we were very clear that the best use of our donated funds was
to keep our focus on the mission. Charities often get side tracked
into setting up activities and internal functions that eat into
funding that could just as easily be done by other charities. If the
current board feel that more should be done for education of new
internet users, then there are other charities that have immense
expertise at using money to deliver these outcomes and to comply with
Charity Commission guidelines for best practice, the money would be
better going to directly fund those charities. If the "Wikimedia"
brand has value, then that brand and some staff time could be lent to
cooperative events with other charities.

I know that Doug and some others have experience in supporting "third
age education" and could advise the board on concrete options and
contacts.

With regard to editathons, I agree that general public editathons are
invariably a poor use of charity funding, but I think narrow and
targeted /events/ have more intended outcomes than 'increasing
editors'. For example the editathons that I used to be part of for
academics, influence University and institution policy and create long
term relationships that have great value. My professional contacts
have proved useful for resolving copyright issues arising from my
million-ish GLAM related uploads to Commons, even though those
individuals may not regularly contribute to Wikimedia projects
themselves; in effect a key measurable outcome was keeping me
interested and contributing at this 'expert' level in ways that they
never would.

Fae