Hi Fae, I'm happy to keep IRC for remote assistance during editathons. The
problem I think is that it is slightly anachronistic and mostly appeals to
people who have a slightly more tech background. If we are going to include
younger people and those without as much of a tech background, I can't help
but feeling it's not going to be ideal for those people. I don't think
there's really an ideal single solution to this problem, because different
groups will want to use different means of communicating with each other
and with staff. Still, I'm happy to try anything out and use a bunch of
different methods to see which are more effective at engaging people.

John