Thanks Mike, I had the same email today, it is useful to see the relevant links.

The apparent ability to keep almost any data about (effectively)
anyone interacting with the charity whether virtually or at events,
for three years after the person was known to the charity, seems an
excessive way of writing the data policies. Volunteers, members, or
other interacting with the charity are unlikely to be aware that they
have agreed to a wide scope for long term data retention. The approach
of requiring an optional and positive opt-in, rather than opt-out will always be
perceived as more ethical.

It was interesting to read that WMUK leaves cookies on your systems.
This is phrased very generically, but in practice the only use of
cookies is for login and user preferences. It would be reassuring for
the reader/user to state this explicitly in the website privacy
policy.

It is surprising to see that there appears to be no expiry defined in
policy for the deletion of IP and browser header logs, apart from the
3 years after you last did anything with the charity. It would make
sense officially to adopt the Wikimedia Foundation's 90 day limit and
to be honest, I rather suspect this is how it currently works,
considering there is a relationship between the WMUK wiki and stewards
on meta (according to the policy). Retaining the detailed website logs
without specific cause is highly unlikely to be of legally legitimate
use to anyone, and they are more likely to pose a risk if retained for
several years.

Fae (one time technical auditor)