From: Phoebe Ayers <brassratg...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 5, 2022 at 9:20 AM
Subject: [Wikimedia-boston] vote in the board of trustees election for WMF
To: Boston Wikimedians <wikimedia-bos...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Dear New England Wikimedians,

This is just a quick reminder that community elections for the board
of trustees for the Wikimedia Foundation are occurring, and voting
ends tomorrow night (just like the Massachusetts State Primary, which
you should also vote in if you live in MA!)

Instructions and a link to the voting portal is here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2022/Community_Voting

There are six candidates, all of whom are qualified, and there are two
open seats. There's links to community questions and answers that
might be helpful and there's also a new experimental election compass
tool here: https://board-elections-compass-2022.toolforge.org/ (though
I cannot vouch for the tool's accuracy/usefulness). The voting is a
ranked-choice system. Anyone who has made at least 300 edits on any
project, plus at least 20 edits between January 5th and July 5th of
this year, is eligible to vote. Many developers, staff and grant
recipients are also eligible:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2022/Voter_eligibility_guidelines

The Wikimedia Foundation trustees are volunteers who provide oversight
of the WMF CEO and who approve the WMF operating budget, annual plan,
fundraising, and high-level policies. While this role typically
doesn't directly affect day to day work on the projects, there are
implications for what strategic directions the WMF pursues and the
relationship between the WMF and affiliates. Let me know if you have
questions about the trustee role. And I encourage everyone active in
Wikimedia and Wikipedia to vote if you are eligible!

best,
Phoebe