​
Hello,

Centre for Internet and Society’s Access To Knowledge (CIS-A2K) program
would like to share with you the newsletter below for the month of April
2016. We look forward to hear any feedback or input you might have.

== Odia-language Women’s History Month edit-a-thons ==

Last month, the second Women’s History Month edit-a-thon (
https://goo.gl/VjCPgq) began on Odia-language Wikimedia sites. With a theme
of Women I am inspired by, the event aimed to improve articles on these
notable individuals. Twenty articles were created and ten were improved,
thanks to the dozens of participants—seven of which were women who went on
to found an informal group for female editors (https://goo.gl/K5D6CX) on
the Odia Wikipedia.

Among the participants, eight were brand-new. We reached out to Rajalaxmi
Mishra(https://goo.gl/cxrkL2)  to talk about their experience. Rajalaxmi is
a MCA student who began editing the Odia Wikipedia after a Utkal University
workshop (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Utkal_University_workshop). Annie
Besant (https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/ଆନି_ବେସାନ୍ତ), an article she has been
working on since the edit-a-thon (in part thanks to Content Translation
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/01/29/content-translation-50000-articles/),
is now among the top ten longest articles on the site, and she has also put
in time editing Sudha Chandran (https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/ସୁଧା_ଚନ୍ଦ୍ରନ୍
).

. . . Read more on Wikimedia Blog (
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/05/09/bangla-translations-odia-womens-history/
)

== Program reports ==

⬤ Subray, Ananth. Edit-a-thon organised at Christ University Bangalore to
celebrate Women’s Day (
http://cis-india.org/openness/blog-old/edit-a-thon-organised-at-christ-university-bangalore-to-celebrate-women2019s-day).

A day-long edit-a-thon was organised at Christ University Bangalore on
March 12, 2016 to celebrate the Women’s Day and grow the women-related
articles on Kannada Wikipedia.

⬤ Panigrahi, Subhasish, Celebrating the 13th anniversary of Kannada
Wikipedia (
http://cis-india.org/openness/blog-old/kannada-wikipedias-13-year-old-journey-of-knowledge-sharing),
reports 13th anniversary celebration of Kannada Wikipedia, 19 April 2016(
http://cis-india.org/openness/blog-old/kannada-wikipedias-13-year-old-journey-of-knowledge-sharing),

The Kannada-language Wikipedia, arguably the largest online encyclopedia in
Kannada language, celebrated its 13th anniversary on February 14, 2016 in
Mangalore.

⬤ Patnaik, Sailesh. Introducing Odia Wikipedia to students of Utkal
University, Bhubaneswar (
http://cis-india.org/openness/introducing-odia-wikipedia-to-students-of-utkal-university-bhubaneswar)
reports a workshop organised at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha for
the students of Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and Master in Arts,
Department of Odia-language. 24 April 2016

A four-hour-long workshop was organised at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar,
Odisha on February 25, 2016 for the students of Master of Computer
Applications (MCA) and Master in Arts, Department of Odia-language.

== Articles/blogs ==

⬤ Eight Challenges Indian-Language Wikipedias Need to Overcome (
https://globalvoices.org/2016/04/27/eight-challenges-indian-language-wikipedias-need-to-overcome/),
GlobalVoices, 27 April 2016

=== Upcoming events ===

14th birth anniversary of Odia Wikipedia
https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ:ଜନ୍ମତିଥି/୧୪  (5 June 2016,
Bhubaneswar, Odisha) The Odia Wikimedia community is organizing the 14th
birth anniversary of Odia Wikipedia on April 5 at Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The
community and CIS-A2K are collaboratively planning to organise a series of
training programmes to learn more about advanced editing on specific areas
where they are facing problem with.

== Media coverage ==

In this month we have organised or participated in this event:

⬤ Odia gets more space in e-world – 20% rise in Unicode use in past two
years (
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1160407/jsp/odisha/story_78701.jsp#.Vz7eMT_h7Hi),
The Telegraph, 7 April 2016

⬤ Exercise to Correct articles in Tulu Wikipedia begins (
http://cis-india.org/a2k/news/exercise-to-correct-articles-in-tulu-wikipedia-begins),
The Hindu, 28 April 2016

== Train-a-Wikipedian ==

This month the following Train-a-Wikipedian session were conducted:

⬤ 19 April (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Train-a-Wikipedian/Sessions/2016-04-19
)

⬤ 22 April (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Train-a-Wikipedian/Sessions/2016-04-22
)

⬤ 28 April (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Train-a-Wikipedian/Sessions/2016-04-28
)

== Keep me updated! ==

If you want to receive news from this program, please sign-up here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Reports/Newsletter/Subscribe

This newsletter is also available on Meta:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Reports/Newsletter/April_2016