Hi Alex,

Of course, building free OCR can be the only permanent solution, but WMF is
not interested in building new OCR right now. The language engineering team
said at the conference that, they don't have the infrastructure and
expertise to build such software. That's why, we have to rely on Google
OCR, knowing very well about its profit making intentions. It's just a
temporary solution but right now, its the only best possible alternative
for us.

Regards
Bodhisattwa