There's on the web an interesting suggestion about difference between djvu
and pdf. The question was: how I can get hOCR from hidden layer of a pdf
file? The reply: convert pdf in djvu, then all wik be simple (more or
less). This comes from the fact that anything into a djvu file is open and
"simply" accessible, just as anything into a pdf is difficult and obscure.
Djvu is wiki, pdf isn't. I don't know any other open format that implements
searchable hidden text underlying page image.

But as a first step, incredible djvu opportunities should be *actively
explored and used*! If you use a car simply as a hen-house, never driving
it, any  standard and effective hen-house is similar, or more effective, in
your opinion.

Alex