Thanks a lot to everybody who make it possible! I find the GeoIP solution quite elegant.

I wrote a script this morning to let anonymous users opt-in for being redirected to HTTPS with the same forceHTTPS cookie [1]; such a script could be used to increase the proportion of HTTPS visitors (probably this script should be not used now before the server load is better known).

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Snippets/forceHTTPS_cookie

Sébastien