On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 at 15:47, stjn <ole.y...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something is rotten in the way changes are being discussed and
> communicated, and it must be fixed. The approach to major changes (not
> talking about some design fix) should involve community and be entirely
> international, right now, sadly, WMF asks English Wikipedia on a better day
> and no one on a worse day.

We are a decentralized movement though. Publicizing proposed changes on the
Ambassadors list, discussing it on Phabricator, and cross-posting on every
VPT, is pretty much the best we can do in terms of getting true
international involvement.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 10:30, geraki <ger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM Deryck Chan <deryckc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to keep everyone aware of what's been happening in
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150826 – to avoid the "shoot first to
>> win" situation, a blocked admin can block the admin who blocked them but no
>> one else. Our balance of terror.
>

> I would recommend a threshold of five admins. Notice that if there are
>> only three admins (with Nemo's proposal), if one admin blocks another
>> admin, the situation reduces to a "shoot first to win" between the two
>> remaining admins. If there are five admins and one blocks another, there
>> will still be three uninvolved admins left to argue it out :)
>>

> In fact, in small wikis it is more likely that the rest of admins will not
> want to get involved. I've seen it, experienced it. In wikis with more than
> five admins (and some may not be active - you loose rights only after two
> years of inactivity). I have even seen admins blocking themselves and
> taking wikibreak after blocking another admin, just to show that the were
> unhappy that they had to do it.
>
> :(.

> Any technical change should examine all expected and unexpected scenarios
> for manipulation before implemented.
>
> We should endeavour to explore the impact of all plausible scenarios, but
can't reasonably expect a wiki community to examine *all unexpected*
scenarios - if we imposed this requirement, nothing will ever happen. In
fact the wiki would never have happened if that was the case.