Thanks everyone for your input.

The issue that made me ask my question actually arose from en.wp:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_review#Coix_lacryma-jobi_var._ma-yuen

Basically, someone forked an article and various people (rightly) repointed
some subtopic redirects to the new article. Then the fork got deleted, and
other editors and admins quickly deleted all those redirects without
looking at the page history or incoming links, creating lots of redlinks
overnight. But one cannot search deleted page history, so there's no way to
find out what redirects should be restored to the old article.

The same problem can happen on any MediaWiki site, so I wondered if a
relevant search function existed.

Part of the problem lies with Twinkle, which deletes broken redirects with
one click without checking page history, encouraging this kind of reckless
deletion. I have raised this issue at the Twinkle repository:
https://github.com/azatoth/twinkle/issues/591

Thanks for all your help.
Deryck