On that note, I'll mention there was a previous attempt by Liangent to do
better sorting of categories for zhwiki, that unfortunately never got
reviewed so ended up bitrotting.https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T46667

I agree generally, that if you want to change the sort order for
categories, that lua is not the best place to implement that.

--
bawolff