2009/4/22 Michael Dale <md...@wikimedia.org>:
> Marco Schuster wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> * Zhe Wu, mentored by Aryeh Gregor (Simetrical), will be building a
>>> thumbnailing daemon, so image manipulation won't have to happen on the
>>> Apache servers any more

>> Wow, I'm lookin' forward to this. Mighta be worth a try to give the upper
>> the ability to choose non-standard resizing filters or so... or full-fledged
>> image manipulation, something like a wiki-style photoshop.

> I was looking at http://editor.pixastic.com/ ... "wiki-style photoshop"
> would be cool ... but not in the scope of that soc project ;)

You can do pretty much anything with ImageMagick. Trouble is that it's
not the fastest at *anything*. Depends how much that affects
performance in practice - something that *just* thumbnails could be
all sorts of more efficient, but you'd need a new program for each
function, and most Unix users of MediaWiki thumbnail with ImageMagick
already so it'll be there.

- d.