Michael Dale wrote:
> yea again if we only issue the big resize operation on initial upload
> with a memory friendly in-place library like vips I think we will be
> oky. Since the user just waited like 10-15 minutes to upload their huge
> image waiting an additional 10-30s at that point for thumbnail and
> "instant gratification" of seeing your image on the upload page ... is
> not such a big deal.

It can be parallelized, starting rendering the thumb while the file
hasn't been completely uploaded yet (most formats will allow to do that).
That'd need special software, the easiest would be to use a different
domain on Special:Upload action to the resizing cluster. These changes
are always an annoyance but it would ease many bugs: 10976, 16751,
18202, upload bar, non-NFS backend...