On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Ilmari Karonen<nos...@vyznev.net> wrote:
[snip]
> It seems to me that delivering *static* thumbnails of GIF images, either
> in GIF or PNG format, would be a considerable improvement over the
> current situation.  And indeed, the code to do that seems to be already
> in place: just set $wgMaxAnimatedGifArea = 0;

So— separate from animation why would you use an gif rather than a
PNG?  I can think of two reasons:

(1) you're making a spacer image and the gif is actually smaller,
scaling isn't relevant here
(2) you're using gif transparency and are obsessed with compatibility
with old IE. Scaling doesn't tend to work really well with binary
transparency.

In other cases the gif tends to be larger, loads slower, etc.  They
can be converted to PNG losslessly, so you should probably do so.
What am I missing?