Lets see...

* all these tools will be needed for flattening sequences anyway. In
that case CPU costs are really really high like 1/5 or lower real-time
and the number of computation needed explodes much faster as every
"stable" edit necessitates a new flattening of some portion of the
sequence.

* I don't think its possible to scale the foundation's current donation
model to traditional free net video distribution.

* We are not Google. Google lost what like ~470 million~ last year on
youtube ...(and that's with $240 million in advertising) so total cost
of $711 million [1] say we manage to do 1/100th of youtube ( not
unreasonable consider we are a top 4 site. Just imagine a world where
you watch one wikipedia video for every 100 you watch on youtube ) ...
then we would be what like what 7x the total budget ? ( and they are not
supporting video editing with flattening of sequences ) ... The pirate
bay on the other hand operates at a technology cost comparable to
wikimedia (~$3K~ a month in bandwidth) and is distributing like 1/2 of
the nets torrents? [2]. .... (obviously these numbers are a bit of tea
leaf reading but give or take an order of magnitude it should still be
clear which model we should be moving towards.)

... I think its good to start thinking about p2p distribution and
computation ... even if we are not using it today ...

* I must say I don't quite agree with your proposed tactic to retain
neutral networks by avoiding bandwidth distribution via peer 2 peer
technology. I am aware the net "is not built" for p2p nor is it very
efficient vs CDNs ... but the whole micro payment system never paned out
... Perhaps your right p2p will just give companies an excuse to
restructure the net in a non network neutral way... but I think they
already have plenty excuse with the existing popular bittorrent systems
and don't see another way other way for not-for-profit net communities
to distribute massive amounts of video to each-other.

* I think you may be blowing this ~a bit~ outside of proportion calling
into question foundation priority in the context of this hack. If this
was a big initiative over the course of a year or a initiative over the
course of more than part-time over a week ~ ... then it would make more
sense to worry about this. But in its present state its just a quick
hack and the starting point of conversation not foundation policy or
initiative.

peace,
michael

[1]