--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Brion Vibber <br...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> These scripts should simply be updated to initialize the
> framework
> properly instead of trying to half-ass it and load
> individual classes.

I agree, which is why I am trying to figure out how to consolidate the tests in
/tests/ and /t/. [The example I gave was to illustrate how bugs can pop up when
you use code that depends on the position of files in a distribution tree, not
because I think the tests are in good shape. The bug fixes are only intended to
make these tests available again, not to declare them finished.]

I could use some help on test system architecture - you do wear the systems
architect hat :-). It doesn't seem right to use WebStart.php to initialize the
tests. For one thing, WebStart starts up profiling, which doesn't seem relevant
for a test. That leaves Command.inc. However, the t tests stream TAP protocol
text to "prove", a PERL script that normally runs them. I have no way of
running these tests through prove because my IDE doesn't support PERL, so if I
changed the tests to require Command.inc, it would be hard to debug any
problems.

I researched other TAP consumers and didn't find anything other than prove. I
was hoping that one written in PHP existed, but I haven't found anything. So, I
am in kind of a bind. We could just dump the t tests, but at least one
(Parser.t, which runs parserTests) is pretty useful. Furthermore, TAP has an
IETF standardization effort and phpunit can produce TAP output. This suggests
that TAP is a good candidate for test system infrastructure.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Dan