Hi,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>
>> I've been meaning to investigate this, but haven't found the time yet.
>>  Have you come up with a minimal test case, or filed a bug with
>> Mozilla?  I'd be willing to look at this if I get the time, but I
>> don't know how soon I will get the time, so it would help if someone
>> else tried to debug it.  Does it occur if you turn off JavaScript
>> and/or CSS?
>
> I tried with Firefox 3.5.2 on XP and still couldn't reproduce it.
> Reloading the page produced a CPU spike but nothing which lead me to
> attribute it to the reported behavior and not a normal rendering.
> I wonder if there might be an extension/badware checking all abbr to
> include ads on relevant keywords.

Got it; it had to be something not everyone was using (else everyone
would be screaming), so I went back though my standard set of stuff
(several font sets, other stuff, wasn't java/js/css).

On the wiktionary (and for some things on the 'pedia), Ruby support is
useful, so I have the extension. But it also has the serious
mis-feature of trying to "improve" on abbr tags, and a serious bug
when there are lots of them.

Fix is to disable the Ruby extension, or edit "about:config" and
change "rubysupport.expand.list" to remove "abbr".

Should be noted somewhere (and reported as a bug on the extension, but
I have no idea where to do that).

Thanks for your help, Robert