On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 January 2010 14:42, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whoops, haven't had any caffeine yet this morning, left the two links
>> off here. They're:
>>
>> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/61083
>
> Interestingly, the revision summary for that revision gives a link to
> general browser stats, rather than Wikimedia browser stats, which are
> obviously the relevant ones (although we have such high reach that
> there isn't a large difference). We have stats from Nov 2009
> (http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportClients.htm) -
> were those generated by a script that could be run again? Getting some
> trends could help us work out when to ditch IE6. The recent
> Google/China/IE story has received lots of coverage, including the
> authorities in France and Germany advising people to ditch IE
> entirely, so IE6 usage has probably shown a noticeable dip.

Right, I did link to a general report, but it's only because I couldn't
find the Wikimedia stats offhand and I knew they were more or less
on par with the wider picture.

And more data here would be helpful. Are browsers not listed there
not tracked, or were they just too small of a percentage to include?
I'd love to know what the numbers for IE for Mac (5.2 is the latest
I believe) and Opera 6/7. These have custom stylesheets that can
be phased out as well.

-Chad