On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Eric Sun <e...@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Even after setting $wgUseTidy = true,  many of my pages show an error
> "Expression error: Missing operand for >" at the bottom in the
> References section.

This is a ParserFunctions-related problem.

> It looks like an error message produced by the ParserFunctions
> package.  I've never seen this on en.wikipedia.org so I wonder if some
> customization or other cleanup has been done.
>
> I'm running MediaWiki 1.15.1 and the versions of Cite and
> ParserFunctions that correspond to 1.15.x.
> Is this something easily fixable?

Wikipedia uses the latest alpha versions, in this case 1.16alpha.
It's possible that some feature was added in more recent
ParserFunctions versions that's incompatible.  But I can't actually
see any changes to Expr.php since the 1.15 branch, or any relevant
ParserFunctions changes at all.

Do you have links to pages on your site that show the error?  It
should be possible to track down exactly what's causing it using
Special:ExpandTemplates, if no one has any ideas.