Conrad Irwin wrote:
>> Just as with image captchas, you'd need to introduce noise into it.
>>
> If you are working from known constituents, you can use
> cross-correlation to ignore noise pretty effectively (I believe it's
> what humans do). The choice then is either to make the noise sound
> like the captcha's numbers (google's approach), which is very hard to
> solve (at least I find it so), or to use ReCAPTCHAs

Funny. It turns out that now Recaptcha belong to Google.

> vast database of
> unknown sound files (with noise added to obscure the phonemes). The
> human brain is capable of filling in completely obscured phonemes in
> order to make the sentence "make sense"

I wonder if we could abuse Wikimania presentations audio asking to write
each word from it.

>(assuming they speak the
> language in question - another usability problem with these),
Certainly. That's a very big drawback on adding audio captchas to WMF
prjects.

> It's likely to be much easier to improve the "request an account from
> a human" process - which has inbuilt rate-limiting, a little bit of
> turing test, and a nice splash of common sense that is so hard to
> instill in an automated system.

That would be removing the "Completely Automated" part :)
It's not a bad idea, but what should we ask them? A too open textarea
leads to "Plz make an account" reasons which have very little Turing
entropy. "Please summarise the Main Page featured article so we know
that you have a decent brain" would be more secure, but our users
wouldn't be too happy with that.

>> I have been trying flite, and didn't find the synthesized text too
>> understable by itself. :(
>>

> In which case a computer could probably solve them better than you :).

Surely. I suspect that would be quite easy to crack by comparing with
each phonema. :)