Hi Bawolff,

interesting project! I am currently preparing a "light" version of SMW that
does something very similar, but using wiki-defined properties for adding
metadata to normal pages (in essence, SMW is an extension to store and
retrieve page metadata for properties defined in the wiki -- like XMP for MW
pages; though our data model is not quite as sophisticated ;-).

The use cases for this light version are just what you describe: simple
retrieval (select) and basic inverse searches. The idea is to thus have a
solid foundation for editing and viewing data, so that more complex functions
like category intersections or arbitrary metadata conjunctive queries would be
done on external servers based on some data dump.

It would be great if the table you design could be used for such metadata as
well. As you say, XMP already requires extensibility by design, so it might
not be too much work to achieve this. SMW properties are usually identified by
pages in the wiki (like categories), so page titles can be used to refer to
them. This just requires that the meta_name field is long enough to hold MW
page title names. Your meta_schema could be used to separate wiki properties
from other XMP properties. SMW Light does not require nested structures, but
they could be interesting for possible extensions (the full SMW does support
one-level of nesting for making compound values).

Two things about your design I did not completely understand (maybe just
because I don't know much about XMP):

(1) You use mediumblob for values. This excludes range searches for numerical
image properties ("Show all images of height 1000px or more") which do not
seem to be overly costly if a suitable schema were used. If XMP has a typing
scheme for property values anyway, then I guess one could find the numbers and
simply put them in a table where the value field is a number. Is this use case
out of scope for you, or do you think the cost of reading from two tables too
high? One could also have an optional helper field "meta_numvalue" used for
sorting/range-SELECT when it is known from the input that the values that are
searched for are numbers.

(2) Each row in your table specifies property (name and schema), type, and the
additional meta_qualifies. Does this mean that one XMP property can have
values of many different types and with different flags for meta_qualifies?
Otherwise it seems like a lot of redundant data. Also, one could put stuff
like type and qualifies into the mediumblob value field if they are closely
tied together (I guess, when searching for some value, you implicitly specify
what type the data you search for has, so it is not problematic to search for
the value + type data at once). Maybe such considerations could simplify the
table layout, and also make it less specific to XMP.

But overall, I am quite excited to see this project progressing. Maybe we
could have some more alignment between the projects later on (How about
combining image metadata and custom wiki metadata about image pages in
queries? :-) but for GSoC you should definitely focus on your core goals and
solve this task as good as possible.

Best regards,

Markus

Markus Krötzsch  <mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org>