On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Jason A. Spiro <jasonspi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever done usability studies of newbies -- new Internet
> users, experienced Internet users who are non-editors, or new editors?

Yep, that's what the Usability Initiative does.

>  Have the study conductors watched how they play with the history
> tools?

That I don't know.  I don't know if descriptions of the Usability
Initiative's studies are all public, or what.  Maybe one of them could
fill us in.  My personal guess is that the best usability for newbies
would be to hide as many things as possible to make it less
intimidating.

> By the way, why does page history say "12,345 bytes" and not "12,345
> characters"?

Because it's 12,345 bytes, not 12,345 characters.  :)