Tim Starling wrote:

> As for fundraising, the work is uninspiring, and I don't think we've
> ever managed to get volunteers interested in it regardless of how open
> we've been.

I must take exception to that because I did a lot of work last year on
several aspects of fundraising, including button design, some of which
(e.g. the proposed button with Jimbo's face on it) wasn't even A/B
tested even after the A/B test harness had been developed. I was never
told why there was no A/B test of that button.  It seems like I had to
ask over and over before anyone even did any A/B tests in the first
place.  Frankly, my efforts to help with fundraising are more
inspiring than a lot of the other things I try to do to help, but
inspiration is generally orthogonal to frustration. However, I know
one of my responsibilities as a volunteer to keep asking until things
get done.  Furthermore, how do you expect effective help with
fundraising when the fundraising mailing list and archives are closed?

Danese Cooper wrote:

> 1. Eliminate single points of failure / bottlenecks....

I am glad that is the top priority, because there are clearly failures
and bottlenecks in external code review, production of image bundle
dumps, auctioning search failover links to wealthy search engine
donors, steps to make Wikinews an independent, funded, and respected
bona fide news organization, general bugzilla queue software
maintenance, etc.

About eight months ago I was told that fundraising this year will
allow donors to pick an optional earmark for their funds.  Is that
still the plan?

Donors should be allowed to optionally mark their donations for
projects including (1) the review of externally submitted code, (2)
the production of image bundles along with the dumps, (3) auctioning
the order of appearance of several search failover gadget links to
external search engines (such as users were able to use before they
were rendered unusable by the usability project) to wealthy search
engine donors, (4) a way to pay people who work on the bugzilla queue
(e.g. through http://odesk.com or the like) without having to set up
lengthy contracts, and (5) a way to pay for Wikinews journalism
awards, travel expenses, reporters, fact checkers, photographers,
camera and recording equipment, and proofreaders, etc.

Are there any reasons not to allow donors to earmark categories?  I am
not saying that those are the only earmarks which should be offered,
but I am certain that at least those five should be included.

What are other problems which might be solved by donor earmarks?
There are ten rejected GSoC projects which I feel strongly about
because they were scored positively by the mentors but rejected
because of the number of slots requested. Could those be funded by
donor earmarks?

Regards,
James Salsman