Hi all,

Recently, I've been working with the Symfony web framework [1]. One of the
classes they include is called the sfFinder class [2], which is a fluid,
easy-to-use file finder class. It searches for files or directories in the
filesystem, using a fluid PHP 5 interface. It has no dependancies, so it should
work fine with MediaWiki. After finding numerous instances of opendir(),
readdir(), closedir(), etc. in MediaWiki, I thought that it would be a good
idea to use one centralized class to do all file searching. There is only 1
potential issue I see, though. It is MIT licensed, which is GPL compatible, so
it should be okay to implement it, but I'm not too clear on this issue.

The usage is simple:
sfFinder::type('file')->name('*.php')->in('/path/to/dir'); //list of PHP files
in directory and all subdirectories
sfFinder::type('file')->name('*.php')->in('/path/to/dir')->recurse(0); //list
of PHP files in that directory only
sfFinder::type('dir')->name('foo')->in('/path/to/dir'); //list of directories
with the name "foo"
There is documentation at [3], but it's for an old version. The code is very
similar though, so most of it should apply to the current version.

What would people think of a change like this. I would like to see this happen,
but I'd like some more opinions before I look into implementing it.

-X!

[1] - http://www.symfony-project.org
[2] -
http://trac.symfony-project.org/browser/branches/1.4/lib/util/sfFinder.class.php