Neil Kandalgaonkar wrote:
> We've narrowed it down to two systems that are being tested right now,
> MogileFS and OpenStack. OpenStack has more built-in stuff to support
> authentication. MogileFS is used in many systems that have an
> authentication layer, but it seems you have to build more of it from
> scratch.
>
> Authentication is really a nice-to-have for Commons or Wikipedia right
> now. I anticipate it being useful for a handful of cases, which are both
> more anticipated than actual right now:
>    - images uploaded but not published (a la UploadWizard)
>    - forum avatars (which can viewed by anyone, but can only be edited
> by the user they belong to)

I don't see how FS authentication is useful there.
All authentication would be performed by mediawiki, with a master
credential such as $wgDBpassword. MediaWiki shouldn't need to send the
media server a user password!
(NB sysops should be able to remove goatses from forum avatars...)
Authentication as understood by OpenStack is of little use for us now.
Things like adding a uid column in mysql would be more useful than a
native authentication for accessing the resource.

> As for things like SVG translation, I'm going to say that's out of scope
> and probably impractical. Our experience with the Upload Wizard
> Licensing Tutorial shows that it's pretty rare to be able to simply plug
> in new strings into an SVG and have an acceptable translation. It
> usually needs some layout adjustment, and for RTL languages it needs
> pretty radical changes.

You can provide the same SVG changing just the legend box.