On 11-05-03 08:46 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]
I'm fairly certain myself that his intention was "With HipHop support
since the C that HipHop compiles PHP to can be extracted and re-used we
can turn that compiled C into a C library that can be used anywhere by
abstracting the database calls and what not out of the php version of
the parser. And because HipHop has better performance we will no longer
have to worry about parser abstractions slowing down the parser and as a
result increasing the load on large websites like Wikipedia where they
are noticeable. So that won't be in the way of adding those abstractions
anymore."

Naturally of course if it's a C library you can build at least an
extension/plugin for a number of languages. You would of course have to
install the ext/plug though so it's not a shared-hosting thing.