On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Tomasz Finc <tf...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We also need to figure out which things can afford to wait while we
> retool.  My understanding of the Features team work is that the 20%
> tax is unaccounted for in the current model.  I'll let Alolita speak
> to it, but I don't believe we've agreed to change any dates yet as a
> result of adding 20% time to the devs schedules.

This is certainly the case for anything mobile and special projects
(offline) related. Since its a fairly new team the majority of its
members are either part time contractors or are new and operating
mostly on their own; this gives us a good challenge of on boarding new
engineers for code review & deployment

In the Features team @WMF, we've been balancing our features development
workload to ensure code reviews are consistently happening for quite a while
now. Some of our team members such as Roan consistently dedicate a 20% or
higher percentage of their time for code reviews. Our full-time development
team is *tiny* (Trevor, NeilK being the only FT feature devs in SF). Their
contribution to code review has varied. Both Roan and Trevor have helped
tremendously in marathons for Release readiness (for 1.17 in recent times)
where Features development went on-hold for months to support clearing the
release backlog. Neil has helped on multimedia related code. The rest of
features devs are part time contractors and remote but have been enormously
participatory in making code review happen and getting bug quashed (Krinkle,
Werdna, AaronSchulz).

We're still in conversation about how to best support a constant 20% from
all foundation developers. The suggestion of 1 mandatory day a week for code
review has been made. This is tough to implement since features developers
are multiplexed across many projects and time zones. They have to ensure
they can meet their deliverable deadlines as well as support ~20% time for
code review. Trevor, Neil - please feel free to jump in and add your
thoughts on this.

To support constant code-review, contributors to MW (community and
foundation) have to work together long-term. I feel on-boarding of all new
developers to learn best code review and deployment practices is essential
to make that happen. On my request, Roan put together some excellent
documentation on best practices to deploy code
(http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/How_to_deploy_code<http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/How_to_deploy_code>).
This has helped features developers and hopefully new community contributors
to better understand the nuances of MW code deployment and develop software
keeping these review guidelines in mind. If there is more knowledge that can
be shared on this topic, please feel free to edit :-)

Internally i've watched/supported our engineers becoming more familiar
with our deployment system and i'm eager to have more who are
comfortable with this from both staff and the volunteer community.

Any and all new foundation developers (whether in features, fundraising or
mobile) have been "let loose" to do code reviews after many months of
practicing-by-doing peer reviews. Same for deployments.

For any community members who have suggestions or questions, please feel
free to ping me. I'm always on irc. I'm looking for more community
contributors who would like to get on-boarded for code review and be part of
the solution :-)

HTH.
Best,
Alolita