On 7/1/2011 11:19 AM, Guillaume Paumier wrote:

*Academic publications authentication proxy* --- Chad Horohoe
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:%5Edemon> started a project whose
goal is to allow selected Wikimedians to access third-party academic
publishing sites to help with content verifiability
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability>. The
authentication challenges this entails are not trivial; Ryan Lane
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Ryan_lane> is also involved in this
project, particularly because of his previous experience with OpenID
(which may be used as a mechanism for tying to CentralAuth).

      This burns me up.  It seems to me that organizations that charge
$1000's of dollars for access to content should not be getting free
publicity from organizations like Wikipedia.  They deserve to vanish in
obscurity,  dry up and blow away in the winds of history.  Governments
pay $50,000 or $100,000 to have a research paper written,  but they
can't seem to find the $5 it would take to make the paper available for
free indefinitely.