User "Brion VIBBER" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r91844.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/91844#c19439
Commit summary:

Add test suite for jquery.byteLimit:
- Tests to verify that the byteLength does not exceed the byteLimit when
inserting more characters
- Tests to verify that it doesn't prevent too early (ie. if limit is 10 and we
insert 20 characters, there should be 10 characters in the input field).

This test suite has exposed that the latter is currently broken.
jquery.byteLimit is preventing characters to be added as soon as
byteLength(currentValue) + 3 is more than the given limit.

(Follows-up r86698, r91148)

Comment:

r91891 fixes the test cases, including a correction for the last test which
actually ends up with a length of 12 as there are two more ASCII chars to be
inserted.

Note that I'm leaving that bug open as there seem to be some general issues,
and further testing is required to see how things actually work, especially
with non-BOM characters and funky input method stuff.