K. Peachey wrote:
> 1. Write up a proposal somewhere (Eg: in your userspace on wiki then
> share the link around or post it to the mailing list)
> 2. Apply for commit access (link to the proposal/patches you have done
> etc etc, we do have the ability to give access to certain sections of
> the SVN such as branches without allowing committing to to the main
> trunk of mediawiki (/phase3/))
>
> Although some people may recommend doing major changes off site (eg:
> github), I highly recommend against this since most of our devs don't
> want to have to go offsite to review code changes unless you do it via
> a Git to SVN gateway system/setup (eg: Brion does this for some work).

I agree with the above. We should have some path in /branches for these
kind of branches, eg. /branches/pastebin. Then I would be easy to grant
access there to some non-core users.
I would then copy the files and start working with the proposal
(however, you don't need a complete rewrite before gathering feedback).