User "Tim Starling" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r91402.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/91402#c20704
Commit summary:

Allow SqlBagOStuff data to be split over many tables, to avoid lock contention
performance issues on servers with a high write load. See
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=61735 and
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=61736 .

Comment:

Maybe, but it's pretty likely nobody will ever run it. You would have to have a
write rate similar to the whole of Wikimedia put together for this sharding
option to make a performance difference. And hopefully it will be fixed in the
next major version of MySQL, so it'll only be necessary for a few years.

Also, the chances that someone will have such a large wiki running on a DBMS
other than MySQL and that that DBMS will happen to have the same bug requiring
the same hackish workaround seem rather slim to me. That's another reason why
I'm not too concerned about the MySQL-specific code here.