It seems pretty straight forward to me,

#1 Core access? Keep existing review process in place, could take 6
months, sorry. Patches that will never get committed for you!
#2 Extension access? Has a working extension attached to submission
(has some .php files in it, no need for a code review here, the
community will handle that) . Granted.  Create their account, and give
them access to _only_ their extension directory.

If you want to foster a more communal and helping extension community,
when it comes to do core access reviews, use a script to spit out
active people on svn, and if any of them only have access to their
extension directory, pro-actively have a short sentence or two about
if you should give them access to all extensions. If yes, let them
know the happy news, maybe they will do something with it (likely not,
even if they had it in the first place). Another metric might be if
they have a lot of tickets for other core extensions with patches
attached.

They can't be that destructive in their own space, and if they have a
complete working extension, chances are people in the community will
start using it, and invariably come into irc complaining if the
quality is low, better to nip this one in the bud and get them into
the code review process early. Like all the people being so helpful to
me in IRC. I don't want to wait months to find out I've been doing
things all wrong.

For extension access there isn't many reasons why you can't make them
an account on the spot and see how it goes, whoever is around and sees
it first (even Sumana).

I haven't used git, but won't you need to decide what gets comitted in
git as well, no matter what they comit on their own HD? It will still
be 'get it moved into a extension branch on git, have your revisions
reviewed, get it into the extension distributor'. I see this applying
no matter which way you go.

Just my 2c to the pile, now banking a dollar.
- Olivier