On 4 October 2011 22:42, Yaron Koren <ya...@wikiworks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So let me propose a technical solution that is hopefully fully
> feasible: instead of separating out access by core MediaWiki vs.
> extensions, separate it out as: 1) core MediaWiki, 2) extensions used
> on public Wikimedia wikis, and 3) all other extensions. Or the
> separation could even be just MediaWiki core + WMF-used extensions vs.
> other extensions - two sets of code, separated by whether they're used
> on Wikipedia and the like.

This would be great, apart from one thing: new extensions are installed on
WMF wikis on a fairly regular basis.  Moving extensions between SVN repos,
or even between separate branches, would be extremely disruptive right
across the board, so this disctinction would at best be accurate only at the
time the repository was reconfigured.  At worst, we'd end up forking
extensions once they were installed on the cluster, with all new development
being made to the WMF version while users of the old version are left to
rot, blisfully unaware that the code they are using is no longer getting any
TLC.

> This ties in to something else I've thought about for a while: that
> maybe the CodeReview protocol should similarly be bifurcated, so that
> non-WMF extensions like, say, SocialProfile, don't get the same level
> of scrutiny as extensions like ParserFunctions. As an extension
> developer, I'm grateful for all the helpful reviews that my commits
> get - but if all that reviewing work is coming at the expense of the
> reviewing of code that's used on WMF sites, then it seems like a waste
> of resources.

This already happens, although more by default than through design.  Whole
swathes of commits to extensions and branches are already automatically
marked "deferred" in CR; usually that means that the amount of code review
it will receive is nil.  Our problems with code review are not due to the
distraction of random extensions!

--HM