On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Maybe we could have a <script> tag in the <head> that modifies the
> relevant stylesheet rules based on cookies present.

D'oh, of course that's a better solution. And I'm supposed to be a
JavaScript expert *hangs head in shame*.

This would be fairly doable but would require that determining the
banner size (and whether there is a banner at all) is as lightweight
as possible. Ideally this would be done without AJAX (because all
banner sizes are equal, or should be) and would only rely on a cookie
to determine whether banners are hidden or not.

Roan