On 01/26/2012 04:45 PM, Chad wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> What's this about "taking your site down for maintenance"? I don't think
>> Wikimedia wikis have needed to go into read-only mode or go offline(!) for
>> an upgrade since like MediaWiki 1.5 or something. I skimmed
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.19> and didn't see any crazy
>> database schema changes or anything. Am I missing something?
>>

> Not that I can see, there's no major schema changes this go
> round so I can't see any reason we'd need to go offline/readonly.
>
> -Chad

OK.  I was under the impression that we announce these windows partly
because if something goes very wrong during the upgrade, sites might go
offline or readonly.  Is that wrong or inapplicable here?  Perhaps
better wording would instead just talk about possible JS breakage or
some other, more likely ill effects?  Let me know and I'll send a
followup mail.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator