Hi folks,

As you may know, WMF's Platform Engineering group plans to embark on a
major performance initiative this year, and had chosen inline
scripting as having the biggest potential impact given what's
practical now.  Tim Starling build a Lua prototype last year which
showed a lot of promise for making things much faster.  One major
decision before embarking on this effort was a decision on whether
we'd stick with Lua or try another language such as Javascript or
Victor's WikiScript implmentation.  I wanted to make a decision by the
end of the month[1], and I think we've done it.

We've decided to build a deployable version of Lua as a new
alternative to wiki markup for templates, barring some scandalous
revelation about Lua's lurid past or other unforeseen barrier.  Tim
will be leading this effort, and will start on the implementation some
time after the dust settles on the 1.19 deployment and the Git
migration.  The project page for this is located here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting

Rough notes from our meeting yesterday are also available [2]

Rob

[1]
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/57769/focus=57813
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting/Meeting_2012-01-25