On 02/03/2012 10:33 PM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> On 12-02-01 5:11 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>> On 02/01/2012 07:42 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>>> I haven't been able to release the skinning tutorial I've been working
>>> on, but I have a new recommended file layout for non-core skins.
>> Daniel, please just put up what you have now somewhere, if you can.
>> It's just not scalable or sustainable for you to be a bottleneck here as
>> practically the only person who knows the skins system.  Even an
>> unfinished tutorial is better than nothing.
> I've always had very little spare time to code or do anything
> substantial, especially with writing. And my employer wanted to get a
> little publicity out so we could get more clients who wanted us to do
> MediaWiki Skinning work (Really, being stuck in WordPress is HELL). So I
> decided to convince my employer to let me spend work hours writing the
> skinning tutorial and publish it first on a new company blog before
> putting an editable derivative up in the manual. And unfortunately we've
> been too busy and chaotic (I got sick) to move on with it.

Whatever state it's in, if you are too busy to finish it, you can hand
it to me and I will finish it.  Ask any of the developers I've worked
with -- I can interview them relatively fast over IRC and/or the phone
and then turn that into usable prose.

Sad to hear you've been sick; hope you feel better soon.

> So unfinished or finished I can't hand it out without an ok since I
> don't have the implicit copyright given I used work hours (and I used
> what added up to at least a weeks worth of work) to write it.
>
> I sent a message to Greg on the topic. Though he's been busy lately and
> one of our clients with an upcoming Oprah appearance has been hammering
> him with calls, even off-hours.

Next time, just work in the open with us from the start and you won't
have this problem.  Writing rough drafts in a subpage on mediawiki.org
== fait accompli.  :-)

Every other day, someone comes into #mediawiki asking for help with
skins, and we end up pointing them to you.  If your boss lets you
publish or hand over this tutorial, it will save time by reducing this
free customer service obligation!  You can tell your boss that.  And if
he says no, let me know.  Maybe we can make sure that every time he
looks at Wikipedia, he sees an IP-specific banner ad: A Personal Appeal
>From Sumana Harihareswara Of The Wikimedia Foundation. :-)

>> Also, are you already working with Owen Davis & the Wikia folks
>> regarding their skin rewrite proposal?
> No one sent me any information about that -- In fact this might be the
> first I've even heard of it. Though I'd love to see their ideas.
>
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]

CC'ing Owen and urging him to talk about it on wikitech-l.  Or, Inez,
maybe you can tell us?

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator