On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM, John Du Hart <compwhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just want to check in to see how everyone's doing. I see a lot of account
> creations however no posts to differential. Is there a problem I'm not
> aware of? Documentation problems? Software issues? Do we see something we
> don't like?
>
> What's up?

Hi John,

Just mulling it over, mainly.  I love having a test instance to play
with, and agree with you that it looks way easier to use than Gerrit
on the surface.  I don't want that to be taken as an endorsement of
the system just yet, because I don't know enough about either system
(Gerrit or Phabricator) to have a valid opinion about which is better
for us.

What Chad, Sumana and I spoke about earlier today was the tough
reality we're in.  In order to get moved to Git in the very short
term, we're going to have to stay the course on Gerrit.  That said,
one beautiful thing about Git is that Git repos are far more portable
than SVN repos.  We could decide we're going to use Gerrit on a
probationary basis, and have a serious reevaluation in three months.
Sumana and I would like to go in that direction, and we twisted Chad's
arm hard enough on this point that he might just say he agrees with
us, even if he's secretly blowing us off ;-)

There's at least one feature we would need to use this system, which
is LDAP integration.  I don't think we can seriously consider a system
that doesn't have some sort of sensible plan for how it's going to
work with our LDAP server.  I do, however, love the idea of using
OAuth for filling in credentials from other services like Github.  It
would be ridiculously cool if people could use their Wikimedia SUL
logins to access this system.

It's also nice that this is written in PHP.  Since we have an
abundance of PHP developers, that means it's far more likely that
customization we need would actually happen.

In general, it's good to have options.  Like I said, I don't want to
put the brakes on our immediate plans, but I think it's worth
consideration after we've given Gerrit a try.

Rob