"Jdlrobson" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r112019.

Commit summary for MediaWiki.r112019:

add basic utilities library

going forward it would be nice to provide access
to whatever library is used whether it is a basic
set of functions for modules that cannot use jquery,
jquery itself or something more minimal like zepto
or xuijs

the addClass and removeClass functions are needed for
my next commit which will rewrite fullscreen search in
the beta to use css

Jdlrobson's comment:

Yes. There are several libraries including zepto [1] and  xui [2]. I understand
that several mobile devices cannot run jquery due to the payload of the library
using up all their memory and crashing the browser and that these
modules/plugins need to be able to run in native javascript or using a very
slim library (I'm not sure if xui or zepto are slim enough as I am still new
and familiarising myself with the problem space! ). Can anyone point me at
links to these discussions?

I know that the android app for wikipedia [1] currently uses jquery so I
imagine a situation where the MobileFrontend extension could work with either
jquery or some other library (in this case the utils library is a handwritten
one which I agree is not a long term solution but would be interchangeable with
jquery or zepto) and certain enhancements to the mobile frontend would only
work in situations where a particular library was available.

[1] https://github.com/madrobby/zepto
[2] https://github.com/xui/xui
[3] github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile