I've gone ahead and resolved bug #11374 after committing r112836.

Screenshot of new diff styles:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/attachment.cgi?id=10148

Brandon and I talked about the colors and the way color-blind people will
perceive them - this color set provides the best cross-cultural and
accessible approach so far. The design also improves contrast issues and
draw attention to the changed portions better than any previous versions.

- Trevor