OK I will try my best to keep up with your changes

        for i in RELEASE-NOTES-* includes/installer/LocalSettingsGenerator.php
        do
            echo $i diff:
            svn diff -r ${BASE-BASE}:HEAD $i|wdiff -d -3|tee
/tmp/mediawikiDiff$$
        done

And also watchlist http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:LocalSettings.php

Alas that is still not enough to reveal to what the current vanilla
LocalSettings.php that gets produced deals with the issue. Perhaps
someone would be kind enough to post one.

>Why don't you just set `date.timezone` in your php config and make all the
>hacks go away?

I want to keep all this stuff in one file, LocalSettings.php, on my many
systems.