On 20/03/12 12:24, Brion Vibber wrote:
> Is it time for us to think about H.264 encoding on our own videos?

I'm a pragmatist on these kinds of issues. I support transcoding from
free formats to patent-encumbered formats if it means that we can more
effectively meet our educational goals. That includes paying license
fees, as long as they are affordable.

> In theory we can produce a configuration with TimedMediaHandler to produce
> both H.264 and Theora/WebM transcodes, bringing Commons media to life for
> mobile users and Apple and Microsoft browser users.

Last time I looked at it, TimedMediaHandler had some code quality issues.

-- Tim Starling